- Jumia has appointed Lere Awokoya as Chief Marketing Officer.
- He will oversee all marketing activities across Jumia’s portfolio of brands, including Jumia Mall, Jumia Food, and Jumia Pay.
- Awokoya said he will use a data-driven approach to connect better with Jumia customers.
E-commerce company Jumia Nigeria has announced the appointment of Lere Awokoya as its Chief Marketing Officer.
Before now, Awokoya served as the Head of Brand for the e-commerce platform, where he was responsible for the company’s brand strategy and execution. In his new role, Awokoya will oversee all marketing activities across Jumia’s portfolio of brands, including Jumia Mall, Jumia Food, and Jumia Pay.
He will also be responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies that drive growth and customer engagement, as well as leading a team of marketing professionals. According to a statement from Jumia, Awokoya’s background includes a bachelor’s degree in management and strategy as well as a Master’s degree in strategy and international business from Aston University in Birmingham, UK.
He is said to also have 11 years of experience in brand marketing and a proven track record of successfully introducing and building global brands in regional and domestic markets.
Awokoya brings over a decade of experience in marketing and brand management to his new position, as he had worked with several multinational companies, including Betway and Moet Hennessy, before joining Jumia.
Commenting on his appointment, Awokoya was quoted in the statement as saying:
- “I am honoured to be promoted and grateful for the recognition of my contributions to the company,” said Lere. “I am excited to take on new challenges and continue working towards Jumia’s mission of improving people’s lives by providing for their everyday needs. I am motivated to work even harder and exceed expectations in my new role”.
In his plans for the business, Lere intends to use a data-driven approach to connect better with customers.
- “To do this, we will leverage the data and our resources to inform our marketing investments as well as understand our customers better.”
- “As marketing evolves, we need to embrace new technologies while preserving the human element of marketing that gives it colour and excitement. In Nigeria, we have a unique cultural landscape that requires us to be even more aware of the need to balance technology with our touch,” he said.
Also commenting on the appointment, the CEO of Jumia Nigeria, Massimiliano Spalazzi, said:
- “We are thrilled to have Lere as our new Chief Marketing Officer,” said, “Lere has been instrumental in shaping our brand and driving customer engagement, and we are confident that he will continue to deliver exceptional results in his new role.”
Listed on the New York Stock Exchange, Jumia is Africa’s leading e-commerce platform, offering a wide range of products and services to customers across the continent. With Lere at the helm of marketing, the company is poised to continue its growth trajectory and cement its position as a leader in the industry.